The vehicle body is a soft cast resin with the wheels, boiler top, smokestacks and small cannon in cast metal. The body has a wonderful rough texture that gives a much nicer effect than flat plate would. The ventilation grid in particular had lots of crisp relief. This is the first resin cast I have worked with and I found it quite soft and easy to clean up. The boiler casting is clean and well detailed with rivets and re-enforcing bands. The smokestacks and gun were very basic and the stacks a bit rough in places. They do the job but I expect to replace them on future builds. The wheels however are works of art. Cleanly cast with no flash minimal mould lines and loaded with detail. I may try seeing if I can commission a run for other projects.
I had to heat the garage up beyond our sub-zero temperatures to undercoat with my usual grey automotive primer. Drying took a long while and there was some bubbling on one model - entirely my fault. For the first version, I decided to go stock, pretty much following the colour scheme on the website:
There is more dry brushing to do and more detailing possible but I am quite pleased with the results. The next version will have a Martian dazzle scheme, tactical signs and perhaps some additional armament. The creative possibilities of this great little kit cannot be understated.
As for the rest of my Martian forces - I am not that great a figure painter so here is an arms length look:
Yes - Lovecraft has put in an appearance stage centre.