So what is a poor contractor to do? Enter the Forstner bit:
These bits cut a smooth sided hole with a generally flat bottom. In addition they can be used to drill overlapping holes. Using a drill press makes for neater holes but that doesn't count for much on this job.
The centre section was punched out and some clean up was done using a knife. For heavier material a jigsaw would be handy.
With all the access doors cut, it was time to test fit the floors again. It looked good
As you can see, I added some screws to better attach the support blocks. It would have been too hard to add them once the outside is covered. I pre-drilled the holes to prevent the blocks from splitting. This reinforcement complete and starting from the bottom up, I spread a liberal amount of glue on the blocks then slid the floors into place. Just visible through the upper opening is on of the screws I put through the floor into the blocks to act as a clamp. I haven't decided if these will stay in place or be removed. I also added three blocks at ground level. They were glued as usual and screws run up through the baseplate to hold that on. I decided to set the tower off centre back on the baseplate to give more room at the front for scenery and gaming room.
But something was missing - a place to land. Using some scrap MDF and the outside of the tube as a template, I made a series of landing platforms.
These were cut to shape using the scroll saw but some work with a knife was needed to make them fit tightly to the columns. The circle is the outline of a flying base washer. It ensures there will be enough space to put the model during a game. Lots of glue was applied to the curved inner edges and finishing nails were run through pre-drilled holes to add strength and pin everything together.
Antevaxx's growing army takes a test flight to ensure everything is working well.
Next up we start on the external scenic work.
Part 2.5 is here.